Let me tell you my life story…
There once was a girl. She fell in love with avocados. The end.
Ha, okay, so maybe my life hasn’t been that simple, but my love for avocados is pure and unending. So, when football season rolled around again this year, I decided to take a step back and look at my typical guacamole recipe and see if I couldn’t kick it up a notch.
See, guacamole is a staple in my diet. I eat it constantly. Not that store bought shit, no. It’s gotta be fresh and real. Once I tasted this version, though, the first thing I said was, “Holy-Moly!” because it was eyes-rolling-into-the-back-of-my-head good.
Delicious in fact.
So, let’s get makin’:
First, you take an avocado. Large to extra-large is best. Pray you don’t get a HUGE pit that takes up the whole avocado.
Next up, we’re going to scoop the delicious green stuff into a bowl like so:
Then, take a fork and mash the shit out of it. Really make sure you mash the avocado up. Who likes big chunks in their guacamole? Side note: I prefer a fork to mash over a potato masher because the slots are smaller and you get a finer mash, plus it’s easier to maneuver the fork around the bowl.
Once the avocado is properly mashed up, we can start with the really fun stuff. Now you’re going to take a red onion. Cut it in half and get your grater out. You don’t want to use the biggest size of grater, you want to use the smaller size for this. Peel the gross papery outer layers of the onion off and grate away. You should get a pulp that looks like this:
Throw the red onion (juice and all) into your bowl of mashed avocado. Set it aside.
Next up is the red pepper flakes. Just measure them out and toss ‘em in the bowl, too.
Now it’s lime time. Press down firmly on your lime and roll it around a bit to loosen up the juices. You want to get as much juice out of that bad boy as you can. Slice it in half and squeeze both halves into the bowl of mashed avo.
Last, but def not least, pour in the garlic salt. Easy-peasy (apparently I have a problem with weird word rhymes…).
Now take your spoon and mix it up. That’s it! Super easy and HOLY MOLY is it good!
I command you go make it RIGHT NOW and come back and tell me how life changing it is. HA!
On a more serious note, if you’re in an area that carries Juanita’s Tortilla Chips, do yourself a favor and grab a bag to go with this guac. You won’t be sorry.
(No, I don’t get paid to say that, they’re just my personal fave).
An amazing guacamole recipe with a kick
Makes: 2 cups
- 1 large or extra large avocado
- 1/4 c red onion, grated
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, more if you like things spicy
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- Slice the avocado in half. Remove the pit. Scoop the flesh out of each half and into a small bowl. Mash the avocado using a fork; set aside.
- Slice a red onion in half and remove the outer papery layers. Using the small holes on your grater, grate half of a red onion until you have 1/4 c of red onion pulp and juice. Place into bowl on top of avocado.
- Next, press down on lime while rolling around to release juices. Slice the lime in half and squeeze each half of the lime into the bowl containing the avocado and red onion. Measure your red pepper flakes and garlic salt and pour those into the bowl as well. Mix. Serve immediately.